« "Art in America's Take, Transcribed" | Iconoduel | "Till Next Year..." »

December 27, 2004

Not Seen in Art in America

When it comes to clubs that would have me as a member, my opinion is roughly in line with Groucho's...

All self-deprecating modesty aside, with this whole Art in America thing, I appear in some pretty good company. Rubinstein's list, however, is far from complete. At least one omission is downright criminal. Still, I find the fact that one can't fit an inclusive list of quality art blogs into a magazine sidebar to be undoubtedly a postitive thing.

(And they continue to proliferate wildly. Here's one I found via my site stats this morning that appears to have been started just yesterday. I already like what the author has to say about Lichtenstein, Richter, painting and cynicism.)

So for those of you landing here through Art in America (and anyone else, really), I've come to direct you elsewhere. Though the links list to your right is fairy extensive (though far from exhaustive), it is a bit unwieldy and, as such, is earmarked for a bit of renovation some time after the holidays.

Here, in easier to digest form, is a list of 10 blogs that should have or could have been on Art in America's list. No claims to inclusivity—just a partial and incomplete rundown of some current and perennial faves who didn't make the cut (read: bloggers, don't get pissed if I overlook you)...

Martin Bromirski's Anaba
Franklin Einspruch's Artblog
Cinque Hicks' Bare and Bitter Sleep
Sarah Hromack's Forward Retreat
Cynthia King's Fresh Paint
Miguel Sánchez' Modern Kicks
Mark Cunningham's Rarified Air
Sally McKay's Sally McKay
Carolyn Zick's Studio Notebook
Chris Hand's Zeke's Gallery

Go read now.

Finally, a note about the books lists (to your left) as plugged by Rubinstein... I have to once again cop to the fiction of the gimmick: there are currently no books on my real-life nightstand or bedroom floor. They all remain boxed up from a recent move. These lists, too, are ripe for a revamp in the New Year, maybe taking into account some new holiday arrivals.

"Not Seen in Art in America"
Posted by Dan at 11:07 AM

Comments

Howdy!

[Blush] Thanks. Can I also add to the list (assuming that my eyes are better than last time)

Todd Gibson's From the Floor, http://fromthefloor.blogspot.com/
F. Lennox Campello's DC Art News, http://dcartnews.blogspot.com/
Cedric Caspesyan's ArtTwit, http://arttwit.blogspot.com/
Mike Patten's http://www.mikepatten.ca/

And you've made my post on the topic irrelevant, phooey!

Posted by: Zeke on December 27, 2004 at 04:27 PM

assuming that my eyes are better than last time

Hmmm... From the Floor is right at the top of my ideal list, but it was included in Rubinstein's list, thus disqualifying it from mine as layed out in the post above.

As for the others... Lenny's DC Art News is great, Mike Patten is new to me and ArtTwit is brand new to everyone.

Posted by: Dan on December 27, 2004 at 04:46 PM

Howdy!

I guess I gotta get me a better memory! The glasses seem to be working fine. Apologies for screwing up, again, and thanks again for the props.

Posted by: Zeke on December 27, 2004 at 05:04 PM

That was awfully good of you. Thanks.

Posted by: Franklin on December 27, 2004 at 09:29 PM

Thanks for the link, Dan.

Happy 2005,
S.

Posted by: Sarah Hromack on December 28, 2004 at 10:21 AM

Thanks for the listing, Dan. I'll get out of this lake mode eventually and start gallery hopping again... Cynthia

Posted by: Fresh Paint on December 28, 2004 at 11:18 PM

Hi, finally catching up and finding myself late to say thank you for the kind words. Appreciated much, but also, congratulations!
-Carolyn

Posted by: Carolyn on December 29, 2004 at 08:10 PM

I have been moderating Plexus/Artseen since 2000 and there are many discussions and personal revelations about exhibitions and artmaking. The Archives are amazing particularly the posts of MOUNTAIN OF LOVE. Sadly after 2001, it became mostly a one-person blog when I write about treks to Chelsea, etc.
It would be great to revive the site.
www.plexus.org/cgi-bin/chalk/artseen.pl

Posted by: ggp on December 31, 2004 at 08:03 PM

I remember when I used to wait anxiously each month for Art News, Art in America and Art Forum, even though the articles often seemed inaccessible on some level...and quite frankly, stale.

With all the new art blogs out there I'm overwhelmed by the amount of thoughtful and witty writing going on (not to mention the exciting art itself). Living in such a remote area I count on people like you to bring this new world of art to the masses. Thank you!

Posted by: Elise on January 3, 2005 at 01:41 PM